Tuesday, August 19, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Effective Lifelong Learners

This post references the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Effective Lifelong Learners and is an exercise that completes things 2 and 3 of the 23 Things.

In thinking about my habits as a learner, I realize that one of the habits I struggle with most is the 4th habit, "having confidence in yourself." I worry that missteps, particularly in a public forum like this, will make me look like an idiot. So, I am hereby giving myself permission to look like an idiot...and expect that those who already know me and are aware that I'm not one (an idiot, that is) will be wise enough to not let the odd blunder as I experiment here change their opinion of me. Those of you who don't know me I can't do much about, so I hereby acknowledge that you may, indeed, think I'm an idiot and may continue to do so until such time as I am able to convince you otherwise...and I'm OK with that (really, mostly...well sort of)! NOTE: This paragraph is being used in lieu of the significant therapy bills that would otherwise be required for me to be comfortable posting my more rambling thoughts on line. Yes, I recognize that I could have done this all anonymously, but that would have bypassed a huge opportunity for me to get over this already. I also acknowledge that my hypothetical potential readership, ie, everyone online, is unlikely to be rivited by all this...and would like to take this opportunity to say "hello" and "yr" to my one likely reader, Eric. Since he's the only one reading, there should be no need to point out that he is my husband. :)

Outside of public forums, I don't tend to have a hard time with that final half a learning habit: PLAY. Therefore, I'm going to probably be a bit more goofy in my blog than I am at work (at least now that I've resolved my public-idiocy issues (see above)).

No comments: